Villa Lagarina Diocesan Museum
A wonderful artistic wealth built up for three centuries in the sacristy of the parish church
In the Museo Diocesano Tridentino of Villa Lagarina the gift of the Imperial Counts to the archpriest church of Santa Maria Assunta can be admired
The Museo Diocesano Tridentino has a branch created to exhibit the precious artistic and liturgical riches donated to the parish church of Villa Lagarina by the prelates of the Lodron family. These Imperial feudal lords, who extended their power to the Salzburg area, ruled from 1561 to 1804 the archpriest church of Santa Maria Assunta, known all over the valley as the “pieve”, showering it with gifts that testified to their prestige.
The Museum, on three levels, is housed in Palazzo Libera. This elegant building, constructed in the mid 17th century by Don Antonio of the noble Rovereto family Gasperini di Monte Vineato, subsequently passed to the Libera family and was turned into an Austrian military hospital during the Great War. It is now perfectly restored.