It is currently home to the Italian War Museum
Strategically located over a rocky hill on the right bank of the river Leno, it has the imposing structure of a military fortress. The first central core was built between the 13th and 14th centuries.
In the 15th century the complex passed to the Venetians, who transformed the castle into one of the best examples of late-medieval Alpine fortification. With the Venetians defeat of 1509, the stronghold fell into neglect and suffered fires and devastation. During the First World War, it was reduced to barracks and prison and eventually seriously damaged.
The Italian Historical War Museum displays a few artillery pieces and a railway cart pierced by a shrapnel. Many are the rooms dedicated to the memory of war heroes and places.
Until 1961 it used to house the famous Maria Dolens, the Bell of the Fallen, the largest bell still working in the word, which found its final home on the Miravalle hill. Only the original plaster model can be seen here.