Church of Predazzo
The parish church consecrated to St. Philip and James in Predazzo was built between 1865 and 1872, substituting the old gothic church (whose fundaments are included in perimeter of the current town hall), which was getting too small, due to the population growth. The old church was probably located in the area of the primitive chapel consecrated to St. James. Therefore, the town festival is celebrated on July 25th, on the day of St. James the Greater, even though the protectors of the church have been St. Philip and James the Less for centuries.
The project was commissioned to the engineer Michele Mayer, who chose the neo-gothic style and included the use of local stones such as marble and granite in the construction. The town inhabitants were really proud of the ten octagonal columns carved from one single block of monzonite. The help of many expert masons from Predazzo was essential during the edification of the building.
In 2005 restoration works inside and outside the church, together with the replacement of the floor and the walls painting, gave back decorum, brightness and harmony to the building, which now looks monumental and welcoming.