Chiesa di S. Maria Maddalena
The paintings of Saint Mary Magdalene tell the tale of the powerful families of Ossana.
The Church of Ossana is dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene. Although the church is first mentioned in 1368, the current building is sure to date back to the 15th century. It features a bell tower with windows with a single opening and an octagonal cusp with a wooden ceiling. The church also has a simple façade, with a sloping roof and a stone Baroque portal. A second, lateral opening is decorated with a fresco representing the Crucifixion. The Chapel of Saint Rocco (17th century) is located at the back of the church's small courtyard - which once held the cemetery - and houses fragments of frescoes attributed to the Baschenis. It features a quadrangular plant open on three sides, with pointed arches supported by columns.
The single-nave church owes its look indoor to skilled 16th century workers from Como. Special mention goes to its vaulted ceiling - previously timber trusses - and stone ribbing, which shoots off from the side pillars. Frescoes are featured by the ribbed vault of the apse and by a band on the right side-wall. These scenes have been attributed to Giovanni and Battista Baschenis and dated between 1470 and 1497. The hall houses three altars. The main altar is in painted stone decorated with gold and lacquer, while the side altars are wood painted in imitation-marble.