Chiesa di S. Giustina
Pieve di Bono and the series of frescoes in the Parish Church of Santa Giustina.
The Santa Giustina church is located in Pieve di Bono, one of the seven age-old parishes featured the Giudicarie area. During the reconstruction works that took place between 1587 and 1590, the former 15th century building was knocked down almost entirely. Just the apse was spared. The main façade in tall-gabled baroque style was built afterwards, because of a fire that destroyed it on June 6, 1711. From the architectonic point of view the building mimics the style of 16th century churches, even though the friezes crowning the central window, the portal and niches are of clear Baroque flavour. The tower-shaped bell-tower is Romanesque. The church consists of only one wide aisle starting from four large granite arches on each side, housing six Baroque style marble altars.
In the apse of the ancient church an important series of frescoes picturing the lives of Saints Giustina and Cipriano has been refurbished. On the walls is a large Crucifixion, accompanied by images of the Evangelists and of the Doctors of the Church on the ceiling. This masterpiece was painted during the first half of the 15th century by un unknown artist, presumably from Lombardy, who still followed Giottesque Gothic models. While the church was undergoing refurbishment, an age-old holy arch decorated with the images of prophets was also found.