Chiesa di S. Ermete
The thousand-year-old little church of Sant'Ermete is the oldest in the Valsugana Valley.
ATTENTION: The opening of cultural and tourist sites, access to them, to public transport and to the services described in these pages is governed by the containment measures put in place by the government authorities and the Autonomous Province of Trento to deal with the COVID-19 health emergency. The rules may vary over time and provide for the application of different security measures — from closure, to social distancing, to the mandatory use of personal protective equipment such as gloves and masks.
We therefore ask you to contact the service managers directly for updated information on how to gain access.
The little church of Sant'Ermete is the oldest in all the Valsugana Valley. It was almost certainly built in the Longobard Age, on a small plain where the Roman goddess Diana used to be formerly worshipped. The existence of this Pagan cult is testified by an important find displayed opposite the side entrance. Its structure and the perimeter walls' layout point to a date that cannot possibly be earlier than the 6th-7th centuries, when Queen Theodolinda set off the conversion of the Longobards to Christianity.
The church is simple yet very evocativec. It features a square ground plan, and is overshadowed by a beautiful proto-Romanesque stone bell tower, which was added on a later date. The first major refurbishing and restyling works were carried out in 1512 by the Lords of Caldonazzo, the Counts Trapp, when the precious frescoes indoor were painted.