Casa De' Gentili
The imposing, austere Casa De' Gentili overlooks the main square in Sanzeno, dominating it with its sheer size.
It is one of the most interesting stately mansions in the Val di Non, presenting a balanced architectural style and highly valuable interiors.
For many years Casa De' Gentili was the property of the De' Gentili family from Sanzeno. It was built in the 16th century, no later than 1569. Various parts were rebuilt throughout the 17th century, which transformed it into the elegant patrician's villa we see today featuring semi-circular arches, decorated portals, several triple lancet windows and a carved stone balcony with elaborate wrought iron work.
However Casa De'Gentili's real treasures lie inside the house, which preserves an enviable collection of period furniture and implements. First and foremost, a large number of everyday utensils datable between the 17th and 19th centuries, including some highly valuable chests and a series of watercolours on the subject of castles in the Val di Non.
The chemist-cum-herbalist area is particularly curious. It belonged to the last descendant of the De' Gentili family and includes a garden with a variety of herbs, a chemist's counter and a well-stocked library.