Palazzo delle Albere
Venue of the Mart, Palazzo delle Albere is a remarkable example of a fortified palace built in the Renaissance style.
Apart from being a splendid example of a fortified palace built in the Renaissance style, since 1987 the Palazzo has also been hosting the Mart, the prestigious Museo d'arte moderna e contemporanea di Trento e Rovereto. The name "Albere" is supposed to come from the row of poplars lining the ancient road, which took travellers from Tre Portoni and via Santa Croce to the Eastern access. The palace was built in 1550 for the Madruzzo family, which held the Principality of Trento for a century.
The building displays defensive architectural features, such as corner towers. Nonetheless, its rigid, quadrangular shape is lightened by a complex movement of windows and imitation-ashlar decorations. In 1796 a serious fire destroyed most of its 16th century frescoes indoor, and after that the palace suffered a long period of decline as it was used as barracks, farm and even hayloft. Fragments of paintings dedicated to the Ages of Man, the Seven Liberal Arts, the Months, the Four Cardinal Virtues and the Three Theological Virtues - classical topics of Humanist culture - still remain. The palace's refurbishing and its turning into Mart's venue have made it an important landmark in the social and cultural life of the city.