Lavarone Military Cemetery
Where soldiers rest in the shadow of the mountains
In a green meadow, with a beautiful view over the mountains of Folgaria - Becco di Filadonna, Pasubio and Col Santo, 748 soldiers rest in peace. They died during the clashes on the Plateaus between 1916 and 1918. The Austro-Hungarian military cemetery is located at an elevation of 1280 metres in the Municipality of Lavarone, near the hamlet of Slaghenaufi, in an environment of rare beauty.
Among all the war cemeteries, it is the only one with wooden crosses bearing the names of the fallen soldiers and their dates of birth and death. Inside the cemetery there is a stone altar, designed by architect Giampaolo Osele of Lavarone, and carved by Aldo Forrer of Folgaria.
From the town of Bertoldi follow the signs that in about 1.5 km lead to the small and characteristic village of Slaghenaufi.
After leaving the car in the parking area, walk up to the cemetery, taking an average climb of about 300 m.