A fine example of stronghold still in excellent conditions
ATTENTION: The opening of cultural and tourist sites, access to them, to public transport and to the services described in these pages is governed by the containment measures put in place by the government authorities and the Autonomous Province of Trento to deal with the COVID-19 health emergency. The rules may vary over time and provide for the application of different security measures — from closure, to social distancing, to the mandatory use of personal protective equipment such as gloves and masks.
We therefore ask you to contact the service managers directly for updated information on how to gain access.
Built by the Austro-Hungarians following the proclamation of the Kingdom of Italy, it was meant to stop, together with other four forts, a possible aggression from the South.
The forts, silent witnesses of the Great War, are still able today to communicate the full dramatic dimension of the conflict between the Austrian and Italian armies. Among the most evocative ones is Fort Larino, from the five original forts making up the “Lardaro Barrier”, connected by a series of walkways, trenches and tunnels.
Still in excellent conditions, the fort was built shortly after the birth of the Kingdom of Italy, between 1860 and 1862, on a rocky spur descending from Doss dei Morti. The size is remarkable: shaped like an “L”, it extends over about 900 square metres and is surrounded by a moat. Inside, it has guard rooms, a kitchen, a food supply room, an infirmary, dormitories and prison cells to host up to 3 officers and 122 men. On the southern and eastern side are the cannon holes, and riflemen holes can be found along the rest of the perimeter.