Church of St. Maria Assunta – Cavalese
One of the symbols of Val di Fiemme
The Assunta church is situated in the Parco della Pieve of Cavalese, Val di Fiemme. This gothic building is characterized by its very high and narrow bell tower built by Giuseppe Alberti in the 17th century and by the coffered ceiling atrium with frescoes by master Antonio Longo. The parish church was built before 1112, but it was re-built in the Romanic-Gothic style in the 15th century and in 1610 a fourth nave was added to the original three naves, separated by rows of cylindrical and polygonal pillars.
In 2003 a devastating fire destroyed the roof and the vault, damaging the porch and compromising the entire building. As a consequence, inhabitants were devastated by their loss, since this church had always been considered a symbol of Val di Fiemme. However, after the church was restored, some frescoes and other hidden treasures were brought to light, making the church shine again.
Guided tours edited by the Magnifica Comunità di Fiemme during the whole year. For more info contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +39 0462.340812