Chiesa di S. Marco - Rovereto
Mozart held his first public Italian concert in the Church of San Marco in Rovereto.
ATTENTION: The opening of cultural and tourist sites, access to them, to public transport and to the services described in these pages is governed by the containment measures put in place by the government authorities and the Autonomous Province of Trento to deal with the COVID-19 health emergency. The rules may vary over time and provide for the application of different security measures — from closure, to social distancing, to the mandatory use of personal protective equipment such as gloves and masks.
We therefore ask you to contact the service managers directly for updated information on how to gain access.
Located in piazza San Marco in Rovereto, the Church stands out for its colourful Baroque façade, which was modified by the later addition of an elliptical pediment featuring St. Mark's lion in the tympanum. The façade got restyled in 1950 according to architect Mario Kiniger's design. Built in 1440 to honour the patron of Venice, when Rovereto was under Venetian rule, the church has later undergone numerous changes, expansions and refurbishing works.
The interior features a wide aisle with three chapels on the left and frescoes by Luigi Cavenaghi, gilded stucco-work by Pietro Calori and nine 18th century marble altars.
Rising above the balustrade of the choir loft is a 16th century organ, in the Rococo style, with three bays of pyramidal pipes. It was here that the young Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart held his first public concert in Italy, on 26 December 1769.