A rural fortified town still featuring its age-old flavour
Calavino is located West of Monte Bondone, at the top of Valle di Cavedine. The part of the town located on the valley floor features age-old mills, smithies and factories, while the part on the hillside has maintained a noble-rural image, mirroring a feudal society with agricultural roots. Special mention goes to the Palazzo Negri di San Pietro which overlooks the town, features a small tower and is surrounded by a wall protecting its hanging gardens, chapel and vineyard.
Those who wish to spend their holidays in the Valle dei Laghi, are provided with a wide array of choices in terms of accommodation, ranging from farmhouses to traditional homes, apartments and hotels. Visitors are also invited to taste and buy up high-quality schnapps and Vino Santo produced in the area.
Castel Madruzzo is located near the town. Every July the town holds a historical revival festival called the Palio dei Rioni, and it returns a Medieval town under the Madruzzo's reign, which held the fate of the Bishopric of Trento in their hands for 119 years (1539-1658).
The Cavedine archaeological walk overlapping the Roman road is also of special interest. Archaeological findings such as fountains, inscriptions, memorial tables, column heads and cobblestones have been discovered along this north-south way - running over the Western crest of the Valle di Cavedine valley. The Calavino-Lagolo path starts at Castel Madruzzo and takes visitors to Lagolo and its lake, which is surrounded by age-old beeches.