Castello di Segonzano
The ruins of Segonzano Castle, immortalised by Dürer
The majestic embattled ruins of the Segonzano Castle are perched on a rocky spur overlooking the Valle di Cembra valley. Built in the Middle Ages by Rodolfo Scancio, on the authority of the Prince-Bishop of Trento, Federico Vanga, the castle served as an important fortified site guarding the trade route passing through the Adige Valley and across the Cantilaga bridge on the river Avisio. The fortress became hugely important between the 14th and 15th centuries. In the 14th century it was owned by the Scancio, Rottenburg and Greifenstein families and then passed, in 1424, to the Dukes of Tyrol.
When German painter Albrecht Dürer passed here on his first journey to Venice in 1494, he was so impressed by the gloomy walls of the fortress, that he dedicated two celebrated watercolours to it. In 1971, Durer's historic visit to the site was commemorated by two porphyry pillars, at Faver and Piazzo di Segonzano, marking the locations from which he was inspired to paint the two views.