Ecomuseo della Val di Peio ‘Piccolo Mondo alpino’
"My valley. A deep furrow cut into the magnificent mountains and my heart."
The Val di Peio is surrounded by the magnificent Ortles Cevedale mountain chains in the Stelvio National Park. This small valley has been recognised as an ecomuseum, thanks to initiatives taken by local people to rediscover their cultural roots.
The inhabitants of the valley are grouped into 7 villages: Comasine (around which traditional activities for the mining and working of magnetite took place), Strombiano (the heart of the ecomuseum, with Casa Grazioli), Celentino (with the "Casa dell'Ecomuseo" and the permanent weaving workshop), Celledizzo (with the Ethnographic Wood Museum in the old Venetian sawmill), Cogolo (the municipality's main town, with the Church of Santi Filippo e Giacomo and Palazzo Migazz), Peio Fonti ( a holiday resort famous for its waters, low in mineral content) and Peio (dominated by the Colle di San Rocco, with its War Museum and the last Caseificio Turnario in Trentino).
- LINUM ETHNOGRAPHIC TRAIL: from Casa Grazioli an evocative itinerary through the meadows and woods between Strombiano and Celentino
- WALKS THROUGH THE FARMSTEADS: circular itineraries starting and arriving close to the picturesque small church in Pegaia
- FIRST WORLD WAR: the Val del Monte conserves traces of the places where the Great Wat was fought, from Forte Barbadifior to the rock galleries of Vegaia
- ANCIENT LARCH WOODS: in the Val Comasine there are larch woods more than six hundred years old
- CIRCULAR VALLEY WALK: joins all the villages in the Val di Peio using old cart tracks
- CASA GRAZIOLI at Strombiano: a simple peasant house with an extraordinary background of historic layers stratified over the centuries
- CHURCH OF S. LUCIA in Comasine: Patron Saint of the miners
- HYDROELECTRIC POWER STATION at Cogolo: an example of industrial architecture
- WAR MUSEUM in the town of Peio, bringing together objects and weapons dating back to the First World War recovered from the glaciers
The «Ecomuseo Piccolo Mondo Alpino» is open all year . Tuesday, Friday and Saturday 10.00-12.00 .
Free entrance with donation
Small dogs allowed