Chiesa di S. Volfango
Popular tradition has it that the Church of San Volfgango is the oldest sacred building in Moena.
The oldest church in Moena was dedicated to Saint Wolfgang. This saint of German origin is the patron of woodsmen and carpenters. A number of opinions have been expressed as to its origins. The most credited one relies on the foundations of its apse, and defines the church as Romanesque.
The inhabitants of Moena have held this church in high regard for many years. This is also due to its remarkable cycle of frescoes which were brought back to light in 1933 by Professor Valentino Chiocchetti, and have been recently refurbished. Apparently these artworks date back to the second half of the 15th century and were painted by an anonymous travelling painter, who worked in the Valleys of the Avisio. Visitors are also invited to admire the beautiful wooden ceiling by Moena sculptor Giovanni Guadagnini (1665-1735), and the magnificent, wooden crucifix, dating perhaps to the 17th century.