Chiesa di S. Maria Assunta - Cavalese
The archpriestal church dell'Assunta, one of the symbols of Val di Fiemme, was devastated by a raging fire in 2003.
The archpriestal church dell'Assunta is situated in the Parish's park in Cavalese, in Val di Fiemme. This Gothic building is distinguished by the very high and narrow bell tower built by Giuseppe Alberti in the 17th century and by the wooden lacunar atrium frescoed by master Antonio Longo. The parish church was built before 1112, but it was re-built in the Romanic-Gothic style in the 15th century and in 1610 a fourth nave was added to the original three naves, separated by rows of cylindrical and polygonal pillars.
A devastating fire, which developed in 2003, destroyed the roof and the vault, damaged the porch and compromised the entire structure. Obviously the inhabitants were devastated by their loss, for this church had always been considered by the people living there as a symbol of the Val di Fiemme. In fact there are funeral monuments here dating back to the 19th century.