There are at least three good reasons to walk up to the Rifugio Malga Zugna:
1. to surround yourself with nature and enjoy sweeping vistas
2. to reconstruct the events of the Great War on this historic mountain
3. to gaze at the stars from the observatory built here at 1,617 metres above sea level by Rovereto Museum.
The building dates back to the early twentieth century and has been completely renovated by Rovereto District Council. Also recently restored are the vestiges of the war located along the access road and the path that continues over Monte Zugna to Passo Buole.
The walk to Passo Buole (1 hour 40 minutes, difficulty E) is of great historical interest for the vestiges of the Great War, which you’ll see along the way after only half an hour’s walk over Monte Zugna. If you make your way up to the refuge along the former military road from Alberedo you’ll come across the so-called “large trench”, a (restored) outpost of the Italian army.
ROUTES FOR FAMILIES
It is advisable to park at the refuge and to follow itineraries around the structure which vary from 30 minutes to 2 hours of walking on simple paths. Forest road suitable for strollers, you can reach the top with a walk of about 50 minutes.
Trentino Guest CardIf you book here you will get the Trentino Guest Card directly with your booking confirmation. It gives you free entry to all the main museums, and exclusive services. It allows you to circulate freely on public transport.
- Alpine huts open in Spring
- Alpine huts open in Autumn
Health and security measures
- Procedure for health checks of guests available
- First aid kit available
- Well visible stand-up display with Covid19 rules in front of entrance
- Surgical mask for guests available
- Staff follows all security rules of the local authorities
- Reduced number of participants
- Disinfectant for hands in accommodation and common rooms
- Clinical thermometer for guests provided by accommodation
- Accommodation is disinfected between every guest stay
- Usage of cleansers that are effective against Corona Virus
- Laundry is washed at highest temperature that is allowed by producer
- Disinfecting of rented equipment
- Regular ventilation of commonly accessible areas
- Checklists how to clean rooms - during stay and after departure
- Room cleaning includes ventilation, change of cleaning tissues and disinfection of gloves after every room
- Disinfectant for hands (in all rooms)
- Rooms are cleaned most thoroughly after every guest departure, in particular often touched items
- Bedlinen, towels and laundry are washed according to rules of local authorities
- Disinfection of often touched items and surfaces
- Non-cash payment possible
- Separation or physical barriere between staff and guests in corresponding areas
- Distance rules are kept
- Min. distance between tables and seatings or distance by separators
- Employees wear surgical masks
- Sensitizing of employees to meet min. distance rules
- Employees are informed about prevention and hygiene measures and correct behaviour when Covid19 symptoms or infections appear
- Compliance of distance in all food areas
- Served breakfast
- All plates and dishes, cutlery, glasses are disinfected
- Storing of staff roster for four weeks
- Registering of guest contact data at the checkIn that may be relevant in case of infection - when guest agrees
Facilities / Services
- ballroom/events room max. pers.: 100
- bicycle parking space
- boot dryer
- car parking lot
- covered parking for motorcycles
- disabled accessible
- disabled washroom
- drying room
- e-bike charging point
- event restaurant
- farm produce
- free parking
- garage for motorbikes
- garden / meadow
- hot shower
- information on the region
- laundry facilities available
- luggage storage
- medium and large sized pets allowed
- motorcycle parking spot
- open all year
- own garden
- panorama restaurant
- pets allowed in common rooms too
- pets welcome
- private parking
- ski storeroom
- terrace/garden restaurant
- tiled stove
- wake-up service
- wheelchair accessible
Sports / Leisure time
- adventure tours
- fitness trail
- garden / meadow
- hikes/guided hiking tours
- mountain activities
- mountain bike
- mountain/hiking guide
- nordic walking
- snowshoe hiking
- table tennis
- torchlight hike
- Nordic walking poles
- sheet rental €: 5
- towel hire €: 5
- altitude (mt. a.s.l.): 1613
- green area
- near the forest
- private setting
- quiet location
- reachable by MTB, E-Bike
- reachable by bike
- reachable by car
- reachable by road bike
- afternoon snack
- children's menu
- early breakfast
- gluten-free meals
- grilled food
- home-style cooking
- packed lunch
- traditional cuisine
- à la carte menu
- à la carte restaurant
- colonnine di ricarica e-bike
- express bike maintenance
- guarded bike room
- suggested routes and info for cyclists
- babysitter on request
- bottle warmer
- children's menus
- indoor games
- business travelers
- wheelchair access
- young persons
- use of washing machine/dryer: 5
Courses / Instructions
- cooking lessons
Beds & rooms
- bed / s: 50
- double room/s: 2
- multi-bed room/s: 5
- languages spoken
- cash payment
- credit cards accepted
- mountain pasture farmer
Open every day from 10th June to 15th October.
From October 16th to June 9th, closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Before the excursion it is advisable to check the actual opening of the refuge by contacting the manager.
Pets also allowed in common areas.
Wi-Fi available for a fee for staying guests.
Garage available only for motorbikes and bicycles.
The prices indicated for overnight stay (€ 25) are for a single bed per person per night including breakfast.
For full board and half board, please send a request to the property.
Contact & Directions
38068 ROVERETO IT
The Zugna mountain hut can be reached by car on a carriage road from Rovereto towards Albaredo.
It can be reached on foot along a stretch of the Path of Peace (trail sign 115) from Castel Dante / Lizzana / Monte di Marco (3 hours walk, medium-low difficulty), or from Matassone in Vallarsa following the path 118 in 2 hours and 30 minutes. path (difficulty E).
Going up to Passo Buole from Ala / San Valentino (2 hours walk) or from Riva di Vallarsa to Passo Buole (2 hours and 30 walk) it is then possible to reach the mountain hut with a slight uphill walk lasting 1 hour and 30 minutes.
6-bed room with 3 bunk beds.
Inside the room there is a wardrobe with enough capacity for 6 people, desk and relative chair. Fir wood furniture and parquet floor.
Independent thermostat for heating.
Only cover linen is provided (mattress cover, pillow cover) and wool blankets.
On request it is possible to buy disposable sheets kit at a cost of € 5.00
Possibility to rent towel kits (2 pcs / person body and hands) at a cost of € 5.00
Safety & accessibility
emergency call button in the bathroom, wheelchair accessible shower, accessible walk-in shower, no stairs or steps to enter, lower sink, raised toilet seat, ample space in the shower and bathroom, toilet with grab bars
quiet room/apartment, desk, use of washmachine, no carpet, simple furnishing, maximum no. of pets: 2, family room/apt., non-smoking room/apt., garden, meadow, alarm clock, set of bed linen and towels (sealed), closet, heater, bedding
Location/room with view/apartment
main building, floor: 1, in the old building
double sink, shared toilet, bidet, no. of bathrooms: 4, shower, bath, toilet, running hot/cold water, toilet
number bunk bed/s: 3, bunk bedAvailableAvailable, No arrivalOnly departureNot available
No booking fees
100% secure platform
Trentino Guest Card immediately for you