Getting here by car or with camper-caravans
Trentino is easily reached by car, motorbike and camper-caravan.
The A22 Brennero-Modena motorway (European road E45) connects Germany and Austria to north Italy and runs through the whole province. Trento can be reached in 3hrs 30min from Munich (337 km) and in 2hrs from Innsbruck (176 km).
The A22 is also connected to the A1 Milan-Naples (for those arriving from the south) and to the A4 Milan-Venice (for those arriving from east or west). National roads (Strade Statali, S.S.) branch off from motorway exits and lead to each town or resort.
There are numerous road signs that also indicate prominent historic and artistic attractions, local food specialties and the most renowned ski resorts. A capillary road network connects the centre of Trento to every valley.
In Italy, motorway tolls are calculated on the distance travelled and are paid at the exit tollbooths.
Speed is limited to 130 km/h (80 mph) on motorways, 110 km/h (68 mph) on national roads (strade statali), 90 km/h (55 mph) on secondary rural and local rural roads, and 50 km/h (31 mph) on urban roads.
Road conditions are perfect year round, even in winter, as a large fleet of snowploughs are always on hand to free the entire road network from snow and ice when needed. From 15 November to 15 April, all cars must have snow-tyres or carry snow-chains aboard.
The whole region has a large network of equipped rest areas and parking sites for camper-caravans (over 140, a record in Italy), confirming Trentino as a "camper friendly" region.
A22 motorway exits:
- Rovereto Sud - Lago di Garda Nord (for Rovereto Vallagarina and Brentonico, Garda Trentino and Valle di Ledro, Valli Giudicarie and Terme di Comano)
- Rovereto Nord (for Rovereto and Vallagarina, Folgaria Lavarone Luserna)
- Trento Sud (for Valli Giudicarie, and Terme di Comano, Campiglio and Pinzolo,Trento, Valsugana, Pinè and Valle di Cembra, access to San Martino di Castrozza via the SS47 Valsugana national road)
- Trento Nord (Trento-Rocchetta bypass to Andalo and Paganella, Val di Sole)
- S. Michele - Mezzocorona (for Andalo and Paganella, Pinè and Valle di Cembra, Val di Sole and Val di Non)
- Egna - Ora (for the Val di Fiemme, Val di Fassa, San Martino di Castrozza)