The "Blue Line" of Garda Trentino
A historic itinerary which follows the 1945 line of fortifications from the lakeshore of Riva di Garda to Nago-Torbole.
The trail follows part of the line of fortifications built by the German army between 1944 and the spring of 1945 from the northern shore of Lake Garda to the Adriatic, what was known as the Blue Line (in German, Blaue Linie). This line largely followed the Austro-Hungarian line built a century before. In Garda Trentino the shoreline was fortified from Riva del Garda to Torbole, the western part of Lake Garda south of the centre of Riva and the foothills of Altissimo, which was where there was the only fighting.
The itinerary is made up of two distinct sections: the first part from the centre of Riva del Garda runs along the lakeshore to the east, the second from the centre of Torbole heads up towards Busatte and on to Nago. It is possible to combine the first part with the itinerary “The Forts of Monte Brione”, which leaves from the harbour of San Nicolò, halfway between Riva and Torbole, leaving the second part which leaves from and returns to Torbole for another time.