Trek to Rifugio Pedrotti
Hiking trail • Altopiano della Paganella, Dolomiti di Brenta, Lago di Molveno
The route to ‘Rifugio Tommaso Pedrotti - Tosa’ crosses spectacular Dolomites scenery and offers extraordinary views. After climbing the green slopes of Val delle Seghe right up to Rifugio Croz dell'Altissimo (1430 m), the hike proceeds to a green basin further uphill which gives its name to Rifugio Selvata (1657 m). There, a long ascent begins: first to Baito Massodi (1985 m), then to the ‘laghetti’ (=lakelets) basin, and finally to Rifugio Tommaso Pedrotti (2491 m), a picturesque hut situated on a dolomitic platform at the foot of two massive and beautiful needles: Cima Brenta Alta and Cima Brenta Bassa. The comfort of the friendly mountain hut is a well-deserved reward for a long and strenuous hike requiring a substantial amount of training.
You have the choice between two starting places: Pradel (1359 m), the easier option, can be reached by ski lift from Molveno; Ciclamino (926 m), in Molveno, is the difficult option: not only does it lengthen the overall walking distance by about 3.5 km, it also adds about 400 m to the difference in altitude that needs to be overcome.
The stretch (trail 340) from Pradel to Rifugio Croz dell'Altissimo running along the south-west face of Croz dell’Altissimo is exposed to rockfall: we recommend greatest caution and advise you to wear a protective helmet.
In the first part of the route after the start from Pradel as well as between Rifugio Altissimo and Rifugio Selvata, there are a few footbridges and fixed-rope sections: we therefore recommend greatest caution.
Both routes (the one starting from Ciclamino as well as the one from Pradel) are covered by the GPS network.
Updated: September 06, 2019
Safety information1) Prepare your itinerary
2) Choose a route that is suitable for your skill level
3) Choose suitable equipment and gear
4) Consult the snow/weather bulletins
5) Heading out on your own is more risky
6) Leave information on your itinerary and on the approximate time you expect to return
7) Do not hesitate to seek the support of a professional
8) Pay attention to the information and signs that you find along the trail
9) Do not hesitate to follow your steps backwards
10) In case of an accident, sound the alarm by calling the emergency number 112.
Please note that the practicability of the itineraries in a mountain environment is strictly linked to the contingent conditions and is therefore influenced by natural phenomena, environmental changes and weather conditions. For this reason, the information contained in this page may have changed. Before leaving for a tour, make sure the path you will approach is still accessible by contacting the owner of the mountain hut, the alpine guides or the visitor centres of the nature parks, the info offices of the local tourist board.
- Shorter (recommended) route from Pradel: whether you come from the Giudicarie or the Paganella plateau, take the SS421 to Molveno. Above the village (i.e. after the village if you come from the Giudicarie, before if you come from Andalo), follow the signs for the ski lift ‘Molveno – Pradel’ (open from 8.00 a.m. to 6.45 p.m. in the summer season).
- Longer route from Ciclamino in Molveno (NB: this route is about 3.5 km longer and adds 400 m to the overall difference in altitude that needs to be overcome): whether you come from the Giudicarie or the Paganella plateau, take the SS421 to Molveno . When you reach the bend in the centre of the village, head west following the signs for ‘Val delle Seghe’, ‘Bar Ciclamino’, ‘Rifugio Croz dell'Altissimo’ until you reach the car park some 200 m beyond the last houses of the village (gate).
If you choose the longer route, we advise you to follow trail 319 to Rifugio Selvata (which bypasses Rifugio Altissimo). You will find a crossroads with a branch signposted for Rifugio Selvata (trail 319) about halfway up the forest road to Rifugio Altissimo. From Rifugio Selvata, follow the route described above.
32T 650558 5112466
EquipmentHiking boots (essential), a change of clothes.
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.