Palazzo dell'Annona currently houses the G. Tartarotti Civic Library, Trentino's most important collection of books.
The Palazzo dell'Annona building was erected in 1772, to designs by Ambrogio Rosmini, to serve as the town's grain warehouse. Later on, the building housed the School of Farming and an embroidery workshop. In 1872, the first wine trade show was held here, with 113 exhibitors, as well as an international silkworm exhibition with 97 exhibitors. Still later on the building housed the Town Museum and the Accademia degli Agiati. It is now part of the Town's Cultural Pole.
Refurbished and upgraded, the Palazzo dell'Annona was returned to the city in 1771, when it was included as heading building of the new "piazza lineare" plan of Corso Nuovo Grande (now called Corso Angelo Bettini). Today it houses the Biblioteca Civica G. Tartarotti, a library founded in 1764, after the municipality purchased a private collection of over 2,400 books. The library has expanded. It currently features approx. 350,000 books, and is the most important in the region.
The restoration and refurbishment project is by the same architects who designed the Mart Museum, Mario Botta and Giulio Andreolli, while the furnishings are by architect Sandro Aita.