Palazzo Assessorile in Cles
Palazzo Assessorile stands at the entrance to via Roma in the historic centre of Cles, the main town in the Val di Non
The present-day architectural style of this mansion results from the rebuilding of the oldest thirteenth-century tower in the fifteenth-century. The southern prospect preserves Guelf merlons on the outside, arrow slits, machicolations and four Gothic double lancet windows. The second floor is embellished with a series of mid-sixteenth century frescoes, providing evidence that in Trentino grotesque decorations became established in the same style as the paintings in Castello del Buonconsiglio in Trento. Again on the second floor, the antechamber rooms are decorated in red and white, the colours of the Cles family's coat of arms. The most precious of these is the Judgement Room where from 1679 onwards the valley's judicial functions were held; it has a fresco depicting an allegory of Friendship and a whole series of moralising allegories.
Guided tours can be booked for groups.