Basilica Paleocristiana di S. Vigilio
The decrees of the Council of Trento were pronounced in the Cathedral of S. Vigilio.
This cathedral, which is the main church (Duomo) of Trento, was built in an area that was the former site of an ancient temple dedicated to the Patron Saint of the city. Before the Saint's death a church probably already existed there built in the Po River area style. The Prince Bishop Uldarico II inaugurated the cathedral in the 11th century, but was then almost completely demolished in 1212 to make room for the new Romanic-Lombard style cathedral commissioned by Federico Vanga, one of the bishops who contributed greatly to the urbanistic and artistic development of Trento. This Bishop entrusted the work to the artisans from Campione under the direction of Adamo d'Arogno.
At the end of the 13th century the northern transept was decorated with the allegoric rose window called the Ruota della Fortuna (Wheel of Fortune). In the 14th century the cathedral was enlarged and Gothic elements were added. In 1628 the Cappella del Crocefisso (Crucifix Chapel) was built by Giuseppe Alberti; it is a Baroque structure housing an ensemble of wooden sculptures, at the feet of which the decrees of the Council of Trento (1545-1563) were pronounced. The solemn sessions of the great Catholic Council were held in the austere presbyter of the cathedral, on a special wooden mobile structure built over the underground crypt. The architectural decorations on the rose window of the facade looking over the square are of Medieval design. The apse is extremely rich in shapes and decorations. The two quite unusual climbing stairways to the sides of the interior were cut into the walls going up towards the facade's bell towers.