Chiesa di S. Giuliana
Halfway between tradition and legend, Santa Giuliana in Vigo di Fassa remains a much beloved place of worship.
The Sanctuary of Santa Giuliana was consecrated in 1452 by Cardinal Nicolò Cusano and is the oldest and richest church in the history of Val di Fassa. Located on the Dosso del Ciaslìr, it was built in the Gothic style in the mid-15th century. A large fresco inside the Sanctuary depicts events in the life of the Saint. Special mention goes to the prized triptych sculpted by Giorgio Artz in 1517, with the statue of the Virgin in the middle, Saint Juliana on the left and Saint Margaret on the right. The roof of the presbytery is frescoed with figures of angels, musicians, prophets, evangelists and saints, in addition to featuring a rare portrait of the Trinity as a three-face head. Saint Juliana continued to be highly worshipped by people from Fassa Valley even after World War II, when they kept travelling to the sanctuary to thank the Saint for sparing the valley - it had been miraculously saved from all the massacres and horrors the war had spread throughout the surrounding areas.