The Italian Chapel
Moena’s traces in Orkney Island. Presentation of the documentary "The Italian Chapel" by Piero Badaloni
ATTENTION: The opening of cultural and tourist sites, access to them, to public transport and to the services described in these pages is governed by the containment measures put in place by the government authorities and the Autonomous Province of Trento to deal with the COVID-19 health emergency. The rules may vary over time and provide for the application of different security measures — from closure, to social distancing, to the mandatory use of personal protective equipment such as gloves and masks. We therefore ask you to consult the section Travelling safely on this website and to contact the managers directly for updated information on how to gain access.
Presentation of the documentary "The Italian Chapel" by Piero Badaloni. The chapel had been built by Italian prisoners of war, who were transported from the heat of the North African desert for the freezing cold of an Orkney winter at the beginning of 1942. The gifted painter Domenico Chiocchetti "Goti" from Moena (1910-1999) was one of several hundred prisoners sent to windswept island of Lamb Holm, to help erect the Churchill Barriers sealing the eastern approaches to Scapa Flow. During their stay, the prisoners of Camp 60 on Lamb Holm were given permission to build a place of worship. The transformation of two old Nissen huts into a beautiful chapel was masterminded by Domenico Chiocchetti. The chapel is one of the greatest icons of hope and peace to come out of the Second World War.