25. WWI: Monte Corno
A historical hike up the slopes of Mount Corno, offering magnificent views of Lake Garda, Arco, the Sarca Plain, and Lake Loppio.
This ‘fortified’ hill is located to the north of the town of Nago, and is home to numerous relics dating back to WW1. Along the way, you’ll spot trenches, lookouts, and stations once used to monitor the slopes of Mount Altissimo. This area stood directly in the path of enemy troops advancing from Loppio or Torbole and hoping to climb Mount Corno in order to bypass the defence at Riva and to reach Arco directly. These stations belonged to a larger fortified system built to help defend the territory between Riva del Garda and Loppio.
Since 2010, volunteers and Schützen from the Albrecht von Habsburg Association in Arco have been restoring structures and stations in collaboration with the Castagneto di Nago Association and the Nago-Torbole Alpini Group in order to make them accessible to hikers.
Thanks to the help of Garda Trentino SpA and the Municipalities of Arco, Nago-Torbole and Mori, the Occupational Support and Environmental Enhancement Service in the Autonomous Province of Trento has created a circular route along a stretch of land that marked the border between the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Kingdom of Italy until 1918.