1804. Monte Guarda
The Italian word „borgo“, which sounds similar to the German „Burg“, indicates a fortified, inhabited village situated close to a castle and kept under protection by the lord of the castle.
This tour departs exactly from such a village, better to say from one of the most beautiful villages of Italy: <b>Rango</b> nowadays belongs with good reason to the association of the most beatiful villages of Italy („Borghi più belli d’Italia“). The village dwellers restored the nice peasant houses with a touch of loving care. This village is really worth a visit.
<p>This is not the only attraction of this technically rather easy and physically non demanding tour through Bleggio Superiore, i.e. the upper part of Bleggio, an area characterized by diverse, valuable cultivations, dotted with small villages and well-known in Italy thanks to its excellent walnuts.</p>
<p>After departing from Rango, this tour runs along a slightly steep dirt uphill road leading towards Passo Durone (Durone Pass) and then along a slightly downhill road; the whole stretch is characterized by a pleasant view on Comano valley.</p>
<p>After overcoming the crossroads at Trevie, another dirt uphill road leads to <b>Mount Guarda</b>. The big, unusual monument was built up there in the early 20th century to serve as destination of christian processions and from there bikers can enjoy a nice view on the entire valley. This very monument is the destination of the yearly pilgrimage of the heavy „Croce Taumaturga“ (thaumaturgic cross) that can usually be found in the big church of the village of Santa Croce.</p>
<p>After enjoying the view from Mount Guarda, bikers have to take the same dirt road they were on before and ride along a light downhill stretch through the forest till reaching, above the small village of Vergonzo, the third attraction of this tour: <b>Restor Castle</b>. This castle was first mentioned in the year 1265, destroyed during the 15th-century war between Venice and Milan and rebuilt by Venetians after they won the war – hence the name „Restor“, which means „restored“. In following centuries the castle fell into disrepair once again till when - in 2006 - the ancient ruined walls were restored for touristic purposes.</p>
<p>After fully enjoying the amazing view offered by this castle, way back to <b>Rango</b> through the peaceful villages of Bleggio.</p>